I Love This Game, But...
# 1
Passing level 50 had me slamming against the paywall hard. Everything up until then was a grind, but a pleasant one. Now, in order to proceed, I will have to grind out for days on end all the things I've done a thousand times already. So, I like the game, let's look at the prices for a little pick-me-up...dear God, that's all you get for $30?? Geez.

All things considered, I really enjoy the game, but the desire to play is grappling with the absolute slog over the last few days. I dont mind paying money, but I don't feel like I'm getting out of the grind for a reasonable amount.

Just my thoughts.
2019-12-31 11:56
America
REST0889786
# 2
Same boat as you! Don’t feel like spending $ now that I hit the eventual paywall. And even if I’m dumb enough to surpass current paywall I’m sure they’ll be more. I wonder how the f2p players are feeling?
2019-12-31 12:41
America
Cruzankilla
# 3
Was fun. I gave up. Two days straight grinding with no appreciable change. If you could buy jewelry on market for silver, we would be in business, but black pearls come too slowly. Uninstalled. Fun while it lasted 😊
2019-12-31 19:13
America
REST0889786
# 4
Really wish people would stop confusing paywall with 'I can't auto this area therefore I cannot proceed unless I spend money'

Jewelry is really the only thing that's REALLY p2w. But the epics you get aren't so bad you can't continue. The fact you're complaining about level 50 leads me to think you've auto'd the story and done... Well.... not much else.

To the people complaining about grinding... You didnt really do your research before downloading this game did you....the PC/Console port isn't any different. This game is 90% grind. 10% pvp. It's not for everyone. But complaining about a core mechanic is a bit counter productive. :P
2019-12-31 20:37
America
Indifferent
# 5
Well, maybe I am wrong, but the first three comments seem to be talking about different aspects of spending money.

So, I split this in two parts to hopefully cover response to all.

ONE >>>>

The original poster seems to mostly feel that the pricing is not very appealing for what you get when you purchase things?

Which, if so, I absolutely agree with. Almost everything is insanely and ridiculously priced, especially when aimed at the western world of gaming. Maybe the pricing was okay in Eastern countries because it is how things are generally done in the video game industry, but it is unappealing to western gamers (the ones that aren't going to put down more than $1, 000 USD without a second thought, anyway), ESPECIALLY the ones that are willing to actually spend money, but are not p2w minded players.

The cost of pearl amounts is very unbalanced, especially on a brand new server when the market has very few items. It would cost right now about $200.00 US for a mystical accessory on the market right now. I mean, REALLY? What a joke.

Pets and clothing, for example, are expensive with how the pearl system chest options are set up with the amount of pearls the pets/outfits cost. 400 pearls is pushing you past $10 because there is no indeterminate option. Outfits cost $30 for same reason even though they aren't QUITE that much... it is no good, and there's no reason for it. Pearl Abyss would make far more money adjusting the pricing vs content you receive balance.

Whales will spend money regardless, but you alienate generally 'f2p' players who like purchasing the extra stuff for fun. Example, there have been over 30 chat requests a day for pet on my server, asking people who will buy it with real money and sell it on market to them. Since wolf pup and penguin came out, I see at least five - ten requests for these or snowkid and that's me understating. Only 2 penguins have been listed for sale so far. If it were a more reasonable price to purchase, you would sell fast more. Whale would buy 3 or more whereas before maybe one. Since this is digital item quantity, there is not a burden on Pearl Abyss, it is only to better profit them and have a better image in the global gaming community.

It will also help with the p2w stigma the pc BDO already has, and BDM is quickly gaining already due to skewed perspectives on the way things are supposed to progress vs paying to progress by high spenders.

I encourage Pearl Abyss to really sit back and consider their options. Make all the items farming in game even if hard if you don't want to do price changes, add like 100 ancient coins or tablets into the price point, but please do something to make these more appealing. To have things only purchasable with real money at such high pricing is unfortunate bad press for Black Desert and will scare away a lot of users who would otherwise happily spend on things. The company is really missing out on a vital thing that must be considered for the future of Black Desert and exactly how much profit Pearl Abyss hopes to achieve. The current model is not the way for optimal profit and user enjoyment to a global audience.
A perfect example is this thread. 3 users say they are put of with spending money because of the 'paywall', and so they are not gong to spend The one person defending Pearl Abyss is great, but certainly also wouldn't spend the money the first three people in this thread would have if they didn't feel like this need to pay and getting very little for their real money in return.

So, Pearl Abyss and Black Desert now lose three users that would purchase, and the point made by v the 4th defending the game and company isn't going to make up in purchases for it.

-Now....
That said...

TWO >>>>

As the previous user said, if people are complaining there is some kind of paywall to this game (and a seemingly considered inevitable one), well, sorry... but, there isn't one.

Progress slows down at 50 (if you let your players finish the game too quickly how are you going to keep them around to wait for new things?? you'll get bored and find it no longer your time if it's too easy to get everything), but there is in no way a paywall or a bad grind ahead to lvl 60 (current cap) being strong (every map is accessible and doable for you to play the game without considering pvp things) as the game is currently.

I can only think such people who think this way as never having played a non-mobile mmorpg, and only used to more traditional mobile games that require little effort on the user's part. This game is completely different from anything else on mobile that v is considered a mmorpg right now, and that's part of the amazing appeal and potential for it.

I am f2p on all my gear (I have purchased pearls but wasn't successful at all in terms of gaining better quality gear from it my luck is in the pits... or other perks to my cp, etc. so mostly it has been pets and buying people things they request in chat when i feel generous). I have only gold gear which is sold on market for an achievable silver price (yeah it's not cheap, but it's unfortunately how it goes on a new server with almost no supply).

I am ranked in the top 1k on my server in terms of cp level. I am only 200cp or so behind ranked 100. I also went through the entire main quest and have 2/3 story quests finished and am level 57. This game is easy and generous with its leveling and helping you get started compared to the pc version And all mmorpg it competes with (ffxiv, wow, aion, etc), but you really need to understand that you have to play the video game and not expect to have everything achieved on auto or first try as you casually cruise through the storyline. That's not the point of playing a video game like Black Desert. You aren't behind a paywall, it's normal unless you want to be a whale spender for whatever reason.

I mean, this game has not even been out a month!!! I didn't come into BDM expecting anything, but where you found called a paywall I was blown away by the level of depth to this mobile game I can take anywhere instead of be stuck at home on my pc or game console!

You actually need to play the game now. It is a normal thing in video games, I promise. If it feels like a chore, then you simply aren't meant for this type of game. That's ok, but it's unfair to label a rpg game negative for being what it's supposed to be in the first place- a game that you actually play and put time into.

Maybe this will v change and BDM will get an actual paywall, I don't know. I hope not, but for now we at least can say this really negative aspect claimed isn't true at all.
2020-01-02 17:09
America
REST0173292